June has an average maximum temperature of 12.3°C, and an average minimum temperature of 1.4°C. June has an average rainfall of 37.9mm.
What to do this month
- This is the month to plant fruit trees, deciduous trees, roses and berries.
- Remove broken or crossing branches from trees and shrubs.
- Hydrangeas can still be cut back to two vigorous buds on green wood. This is important, as green wood is the flowering wood.
- Check lawns for unwanted moss growth, as this is an indicator of poor drainage. Treat with an iron-based moss killer.
- Leave all frost affected foliage on plants, as this will help to protect the rest of the plant for winter. Prune off in spring as new growth appears.
- Mulch young tender plants and protect frost sensitive plants with frost cover, hessian etc.
- Consider indoor plants to oxygenate our enclosed homes during winter.
- Move house plants away from heaters and cut down on watering.
- Continue to water lawns at least once a week and more often if dry.
- Ensure vegetables do not dry out and keep weeds and pests under control. Protect all Brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale) from white cabbage moth. A light dusting of vegetable dust every 3 to 4 weeks will do the trick.
- Asparagus crowns
- Garlic bulbs
- Asian greens
- Brussels sprouts
- Cabbage, carrot
- Silver beet
Flowers and bulbs
- Plant up pots with bloomers of pansies, violas, primulas, polyanthus and cyclamen.